Coastal Carolina Regional Airport has been operating in the same place but under several different names since it was founded on November 21, 1931, as Simmons-Nott Airport. The hyphenated name's genesis came from North Carolina Senator Furnifold McLendel Simmons and First Lieutenant Joel Nott, United States Marine Corps last names. During the dedication ceremony, 1stLt Nott died during an air performance, and Senator Simmons requested that Nott's name was added to the Airport's name. World War Two ushered in a new era for the Airport. The Marine Corps leased the field in August of 1941 and named it Camp Mitchell Airfield. The end of the war brought a period of quiet to the airfield. In 1962, the commercial terminal was rebuilt to serve the local community. The Airport opened a Control Tower in 1974. The Airport continued to grow and gained a Fixed Base Operator (FBO) in 1975. The Airport Authority was established by an act of the North Carolina General Assembly in 1979. State Law 1979-1197 established the Authority as a body politic and corporate. Craven County assumed ownership in 1985 and the Airport was renamed to Craven County Regional Airport in 1990. As the area grew, increased air service opportunities and funds were appropriated for a new terminal completed in 1999. The Airport's name was changed in 2008 to Coastal Carolina Regional Airport to reflect its regional significance. With two modern runways (04/22 at 6,452ft and 14/32 2 4,000ft), Coastal Carolina Regional Airport continues to provide commercial jet air service, general aviation services, and support to transient and training military aircraft.